Thursday, January 8, 2009

I am feeling so proud!

Yes, I know it's about 2 months too late for a post like this. But this morning on my way to work, they were playing the "best of" on a radio show that I listen to at times. Today, they replayed the show from November 5, 2008, and we all know what happened that day! Just in case you missed it, that was the day that the first African American President was elected to serve the American people!!

As the radio show hosts began to share their experiences from the night before, and how they felt watching the election night results, I began to tear up thinking about that night myself. It was, and still is, an unbelievable feeling. I was able to share a moment like that with my 9 year old son. A little black boy who was able to see that "YES WE CAN" become President. "YES WE CAN" love our wife and children in public without shame. "YES WE CAN" be smart, intellectual men, (and women) and still have "swagga". It felt so good to know that we finally have someone that can represent us to all of the world in a positive way.

This morning on the news, they had a segment about the person who is likely to be named the oldest woman. Mrs. Gertrude Baines is 114 years old, was born in 1894, lives in a California nursing home, was a former slave and according to reports voted for Barack Obama because "he's for the colored people". I'm not saying that was a good reason to vote for him, however can you imagine the history she took with her to the polling station? Can you imagine the struggles she was able to leave right there at the polls? I'm imagining a load being carried for 114 years, and she was finally able to drop it, right there on November 4, 2008. I would love to sit at the feet of Mrs. Baines and just listen. Listen to all that she's seen, all that she's heard, all that she's done, all that she can offer me.

In the Washington Post, it's reported that in Denver Colorado, Terrance Carroll, a sharecropper's grandson, was chosen as speaker of Colorado's House of Representatives, the first in that state. A state where blacks only make up about 4% of the population. He and Senate President, Peter C. Groff, are the only blacks among Colorado's 100 legislators.

All of this information came to me today. I am a firm believer that nothing happens by coincidence. For some reason, I received this info. Maybe it was to pass it along to you, in order for you to pass it along to others, and so on and so on. These are just a few reasons why I'm feeling proud today. I'm proud of Eric Holden, nominee for Attorney general, Michelle Obama, a woman who on her own could concur the world but chose to drop it all to support her husband in his vision, all the celebs who took time to educate our young folks on how important it is for our voices to be heard, Luda, Jay Z, Diddy, Russell Simmons, etc. I'm proud of those of us who voted. I'm proud of those of us who wanted to vote, but couldn't for various reasons. I'm proud of the children who were not old enough to vote, but were very interested in learning about this political process. I am so proud of the men and women who choose to do the right thing daily without recognition. I could go on and on today, but I won't. I would just leave you all with this:

ROSA SAT, SO MARTIN COULD WALK. MARTIN WALKED SO THAT OBAMA COULD RUN. OBAMA RAN SO THAT OUR CHILDREN CAN FLY!

Lets keep showing the world that the images they see frequently, are not who we really are. My tidbit for today is: Whenever you get down about the state of our people, or you are bombarded with negative images of who we are, look around you, we have plenty of reasons to be proud!

Sweet T

No comments:

My Favorites

  • My Son
  • My Family
  • My KD
  • My Friends
  • Kindred Family Soul
  • Eric Roberson
  • Fred Hammond
  • Jill Scott
  • Mary J. Blige
  • Left Behind Series
  • Love Jones
  • Coming to America
  • The Bridges of Madison County
  • The Color Purple
  • The Kite Runner
  • The Wire
  • Boomerrang
  • The Notebook
  • Love and Basketball

"MISERY HAS ENOUGH COMPANY. DARE TO BE HAPPY!"

"I'm calling out to You, for a strength exchange. I'll gladly take Your Joy, for my weakness"